Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bread

The wonder of taking flour, yeast, salt, and water and turning it into a beautiful, good-smelling, delicious, and nourishing loaf of bread is some kind of magic.

And I know that it seems like it will be hard and take a long time and could not possibly be worth the trouble. But I am a bread evangelist, a term I heard from my friend Jennifer, who is also a bread evangelist, and I am here to tell you that it is definitely worth doing. (Here is where I try really hard to convince you to try making bread, but with a modified recipe for sandwich bread, made a easy as I could possibly make it.) This recipe has no kneading or water-temperature-checking. The amount of time you will actually spend fiddling with the bread is maybe 15 minutes, spread out over 20 hours. And the bread you make will drive you mad with desire, and your guests will talk about it with longing long after they have gone home.

This is the recipe I currently follow to make a rustic boule:
No-Knead Bread: So Easy a Four-Year-Old Can Make It

Here is the original Mark Bittman recipe that the above is closely based on, but I think the above one is easier to follow.

And here is the video of Jim Lahey showing Mark Bittman how to do it.

Now. Go forth and bake bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment