Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Choice Part IV

So to wrap up the choice thing, at least for now, here are some things that help me to feel a sense of abundance, happiness, and peace resulting from a purchase, rather than, say, guilt or anger.
  1. feel good about my choice and not distracted by "missed opportunities"
  2. feel like the amount I paid for it is in line with the need it fills or problem it solves AND how much I think it should cost; this last one pretty much always requires a coupon
  3. use the item--not leave it sitting in the closet collecting dust because I either hate it or am trying to "save" it
  4. feel like it serves me well and fulfills its expected purpose until my need of it runs out
  5. use it up; wear it out: like my jeans that I've worn several days a week for 2 years now; I feel like I've gotten my money's worth vs. three different plastic pieces broke off our vaccuum in the first 2.5 years, so it doesn't really work like it's supposed to, but it sort of works, but it would cost more to fix than to get a new one; I have very uncharitable feelings toward the vacuum
  6. if there's anything left of the item, I can pass it on to someone else who can use it
If I can use something up and get a lot of mileage out of something, I am actually excited to buy another (as long as they still make it, whatever it is!). No need to optimize a choice, and I have proven to myself that it won't sit unused.

No comments:

Post a Comment